Our vision in Breast Cancer Ireland is through research and awareness – we will transform breast cancer from often being a fatal disease (690 deaths annually) to a treatable illness long term.
Current statistics in Ireland:
- One in nine women will develop breast cancer in the course of their lifetime.
- Incidence of male breast cancer is one in 1000.
- We have 3,100 new cases of breast cancer diagnosed each year.
- 30% of women are diagnosed between the ages of 20-50 years.
- 34% of women are diagnosed between the ages of 50-69 years.
- 36% of women are diagnosed over the age of 70 years.
- Only 5%-10% of breast cancer cases are hereditary.